Board index   FAQ   Search  
Sheltie BlogSHELTIE BLOG Register  Login
Board index Sheltie Planet Food and Nutrition

how much should I feed

What to feed your Sheltie for optimum health and happiness.

how much should I feed

Postby harleysmamma » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I am wondering if I am feeding Harley enough food. He will be 9 months old on January 1st. I give him 1/2 cup blue bufffalo in the morning and at night. He weighs 25 pounds and is 17'' tall. Does that see to thin? Any opinions are appreciated.
harleysmamma

Re: how much should I feed

Postby Ronna58 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:35 am

Sounds about right for food. Is it adult food or puppy food? Usually with puppy food, you feed more because it has more of what they need. By nine months, you can be thinking about transitioning over to adult food if you have not already done so. My two get a 1/3 cup twice a day with either a good teaspoon of pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, or from Christmas dinner, turnip. They love the cooked veggies and I have no problems getting them to eat the Taste of teh Wild kibble they are on.

Don't forget to include any and all treats in the daily food count. These can add up. My two get three small biscuits daily (mid morning, mid afternoon, and bedtime).

Check the ribs. One person (a vet) I know described it this way - look at your open hand and run your fingers over your knuckles. This is now the ribs should feel. Knuckles on a closed hand - the dog is too thin. Running your fingers over the palm of your hand shows if the dog is overweight. Also check for the "tummy tuck" If you can run your hands down the body along the ribs and there is a nice dip from the ribs into the stomach, the dog is not fat.
Sometimes you can see this looking down at the dog, but with Shelties and their thick fur, it is difficuilt to see this.

It does not sound as if yours is too overweight for the height. Harley is only nine months and still has some growing to do, although not a lot. I would wait until he is a year old before I would be too concerned.

I like the name. That was what I had originally picked for my blue merle, until I chose Noah instead.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley
Ronna58

Postby harleysmamma » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks Rona, I will try your method. He is on Blue Buffalo puppy food, chicken and brown rice. He eats it all but I think he may be wanting more. He is very active and loves playing catch and tug. He loves pigs ear but I don't know heathy they are for him.
harleysmamma

Postby KenRC51 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:31 am

Can't tell you much about the height because Daisy is my first Sheltie but for the food part. I think what you are feeding is a right amount. Stitch is 8 years old weight 55 lbs and I only feed her 1 cup one time a day.

Daisy is still a puppy so I feed 1 cup twice daily. When Daisy is fully grown I will be probably changing her to 1 cup a day.
KenRC51

Postby Ronna58 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:42 am

Two cups is a lot for a Sheltie. I found with Emma, who is just over 15 inches tall that I have had to cut her food back to 2/3 cup daily (1/3 cup twice daily). You may find that 1 cup is good for yours but you may need to cut back more. Just watch her weight because Shelties can get overweight and it is a struggle to get some of them to lose extra weight.
Ronna
Ronna58

Postby KenRC51 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Ronna58 wrote:Two cups is a lot for a Sheltie. I found with Emma, who is just over 15 inches tall that I have had to cut her food back to 2/3 cup daily (1/3 cup twice daily). You may find that 1 cup is good for yours but you may need to cut back more. Just watch her weight because Shelties can get overweight and it is a struggle to get some of them to lose extra weight.

I did find that a little bit much but I haven't seen any weight problems. I can still see dip in stomach after the ribs.

Shouldn't puppy eat more too? I remember when Stitch was a pup she ate about 2 cups a day.
KenRC51

Postby Ronna58 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Just watch when she becomes an adult. You will probably have to cute Daisy back on the amount she gets. I did with Emma, about 1/3 or so.
Ronna
Ronna58

Postby KenRC51 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:24 am

Ronna58 wrote:Just watch when she becomes an adult. You will probably have to cute Daisy back on the amount she gets. I did with Emma, about 1/3 or so.

Yeah I know, she'll probably be cut back to 1 cup or a little bit less since she is smaller than Stitch.
KenRC51

Postby KenRC51 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:26 am

Daisy has slow down on her eating now. She can't finish her 1 cup anymore so i lessened it to half cup two times a day.
KenRC51

Postby Ronna58 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:29 am

Sounds like Daisy knows when she is full. That is good as some dogs can't regulate themselves. Noah would sometimes go all day before he would eat his breakfast. Emma used to wait until later in the morning but with Liam here they are both gobbling down their meals.
Ronna
Ronna58

Next

Return to Food and Nutrition