Board index   FAQ   Search  
Sheltie BlogSHELTIE BLOG Register  Login
Board index Sheltie Planet Health and Grooming

Regression in potty training after neutering

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.

Regression in potty training after neutering

Postby harleysmamma » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Has anyone experienced potty accidents in the house after neutering. Harley was completely trained and has had a few accidents in the house after being neutered last week. He has healed fine and is just as playful as ever. His appetite is normal. It doesn't seem to be a UTI as he is urinating with no pain and the amount of urine is normal. Any ideas?
harleysmamma

Re: Regression in potty training after neutering

Postby OntarioSheltie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Its normal for a pup to regress during potty training, both of mine went months with no mistakes, then suddenly would be going all over the house.

Its probably nothing you've done wrong, its just that fun part of potty training a puppy. Try to be patient and just keep doing what you were doing in the first place. He'll get back on track eventually.

If you do suspect there might be a health issue then definitely consult your vet. Having a urine sample tested for a UTI isn't expensive and at the very least will give you peace of mind.
Melissa

(Sadie, Ginny and Toby's Mom )
OntarioSheltie

Postby SheltiePlanet » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 am

Sometimes I think it might be a psychological thing.... A few weeks ago my parents went back to the UK after staying with us for 6 weeks and every day after that, Piper went into their empty bedroom and did a poo! I know this because I discovered him doing it after 5 days, and found 5 massive poos! :roll:

Other times, Piper goes indoors if it's raining outside. He doesn't like to poo in the rain!!!

Or it could be if Harley has some discomfort going up or down stairs after his operation, he may not be able to get to his usual spot outside?
Becky
Sheltie Planet (Facebook | Twitter)
100% Owned By Howard and Piper Woofington Moon

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Postby legallybrunette » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:36 am

Ohmigosh, I think we're going through this at the moment.

Before Archie was neutered a few weeks ago, his toilet training was going really well... but things have sort of slipped lately. He sleeps in my room at night and normally will wake me up if he needs to go outside and go to the toilet. But he has started peeing and pooping on the carpet, not just once, but several times at night. I haven't changed anything else about his routine, like his diet or his dinner time.

I think the problem is behavioural more than anything, like he is trying to assert his dominance and test his boundaries. This morning I turned my back on him for a second to get dressed and he started pooping on the carpet, even though he'd just come in from outside. He didn't circle or scratch, he just started going!

Does anyone have any tips for getting through this stage? I'm nearly at my wits' end with him. I'm exhausted by the time I finally crawl into bed at night, and now I'm waking up several times during the night to scrub the carpet. Not cool!!
Tegan
-&-
Archie

Please "like" Archie on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Archie-the-Sheltie/186179354760291

ImageImage
legallybrunette

Postby Ronna58 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 am

Tegan - sounds like you have to right back to the basics. Do you crate? You may want to consider crating at night until this issue is solved.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley
Ronna58

Postby legallybrunette » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks so much for the reply Ronna.

I didn't crate train him initially - I used newspaper and gradually moved it outside. But I think we might have to give it a try if this behaviour continues. We did have a good night last night... I hope it continues!
Tegan
-&-
Archie

ImageImage
legallybrunette

Postby SheltiePlanet » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:59 am

Hey Tegan, have things improved with Archie's housebreaking? It can be sooo frustrating when you know that they know better!

Might be a little boundary testing like you say, if Archie is anything like Howard (and we know they are!) they have a dominant little streak in them! :P
Becky
Sheltie Planet (Facebook | Twitter)
100% Owned By Howard and Piper Woofington Moon

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Postby legallybrunette » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Becky,

Thanks for your reply! I'm pleased to report that things have improved with Archie's night-time toiletting habits. For whatever reason, I've found that if I keep my bedroom door open at night, he will wake me up if he needs to go outside. However, if the door is closed, he'll just go on the carpet.

I have no idea why keeping the door open makes a difference... maybe he likes to roam around the house at night, and when I close the door and trap him inside, he likes to leave spiteful wees and poos for me to clean up in the morning!!
Tegan
-&-
Archie

ImageImage
legallybrunette

Postby SheebaSheltie » Sun May 29, 2011 5:28 am

I think that's just normal unless it really bothers you. It's really hard potty training a dog that's why you need lots of patience.
Shetland Sheepdog training @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/Shetland-Sheepdog/about-shetland-sheepdog.html
Trainpetdog.com store @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/store/
SheebaSheltie

Return to Health and Grooming