Board index   FAQ   Search  
Sheltie BlogSHELTIE BLOG Register  Login
Board index Sheltie Planet Newbies, General Chat, Meetups

Sheltie Names

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.

Sheltie Names

Postby SheltiePlanet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:21 am

As there are new Sheltie owners here, some of them will be thinking up new puppy names so I thought we should dedicate a thread to it. You can submit as many names as you like, let's see if we can inspire people! You can suggest your own Shelties' names of course!

For sables...
Sandy, Bear, Honey, Foxy, Tiger

For tri-colors...
Jet, Blackie, Raven, Shadow

For blue merles...
Gandalf, Merlin

Human-sounding names... (my fave)
Arthur, Andris, Benji, Barney, Donnie, Eddie, Freddie, George, Horatio, Howard, Louis, Mack, Ollie, Oscar, Piper, Stewie, Stevie, Victor, Willie

Girl's names...
Annie, Amy, Cassie, Daisy, Flo, Goldie, Heidi, Henri, Lucy, Minnie, Maggie, Nelly, Ruby, Rose, Sammy, Sadie, Tammy, Vicky, Willow

Funky dog names...
Astro, Buttercup, Bilko, Bamba, Dexter, Digger, Gonzo, Einstein, Kermit, Loco, Peanut, Pickle, Rio, Sunny, Taz, Tigger, Xena, Zara, Zuce
Becky
Sheltie Planet (Facebook | Twitter)
100% Owned By Howard and Piper Woofington Moon

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Re: Sheltie Names

Postby Ronna58 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 am

This is fun to find out new names.

With my three Shelties, I looked at human names and then dug up the meaning for them. I did this because I wanted the name to mean what each dog meant.

Noah - means comfort - I got Noah after losing Hamish.

Emma - means comfort- I got her after losing Noah.

Liam - means strong protector.

Other names: Missy, Harley, Slick,

I guess my feeling is to stay away from names people call dogs of other breeds and look at human names for the dog and what suits their personality.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley
Ronna58

Postby kherr05 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:23 pm

When we got Bruiser the move Legally Blonde was big, and the dogs name was Bruiser. That is how we came up with Bruiser. Then we came up with Missy, because when we got her, we couldn't come up with a name, I started calling her little Miss. So it stuck!!
Bruiser- Tri Black
Missy-Blue Merle
kherr05

Postby legallybrunette » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:05 am

Archie is a sable male, and before I chose him from the litter, I'd come up with a list of boy names including Archie, Alfie, Leeroy and Bentley. He seemed like an Archie so that's what I went with! I chose 'Liberarci' as his kennel name lol.
Tegan
-&-
Archie

Please "like" Archie on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Archie-the-Sheltie/186179354760291

ImageImage
legallybrunette

Postby SheltiePlanet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:58 am

Archie is a great name - so refined!

I also think Milo is a good name for a Sheltie... so soft and sweet.
Becky
Sheltie Planet (Facebook | Twitter)
100% Owned By Howard and Piper Woofington Moon

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Postby trishym » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 am

I got my Sheltie and thought I had a name sorted. I love him, he is so bouncy, a tricolour , gorgeous personality, of course, and I automatically thought of the name Zebedee. , my Partner, who was emphatic he didnt want a dog,but is now besotted, decided he needed a Bloke name, that Zebedee was far too unmanley. !! Typical ! His name is now Torren, the name is Scottish, it means Craggy Hill. He doesnt care, he asnwers to both!! :lol:
trishym

Postby Baxnfursmom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:26 pm

trishym wrote:I got my Sheltie and thought I had a name sorted. I love him, he is so bouncy, a tricolour , gorgeous personality, of course, and I automatically thought of the name Zebedee. , my Partner, who was emphatic he didnt want a dog,but is now besotted, decided he needed a Bloke name, that Zebedee was far too unmanley. !! Typical ! His name is now Torren, the name is Scottish, it means Craggy Hill. He doesnt care, he asnwers to both!! :lol:

Love the name Torren. It's not one I've heard before,very unique and very Gaelic.

When I bought my Fergus I had a week to wait to pick him up so I did a little research on Scottish/Gaelic names. The two that jumped out were Angus and Fergus. The name Angus just didn't seem to fit him so Fergus he is.

Baxter came from rescue with his name. I know you can change the names but the poor guy already had his life turned up side down when his owner surrendered him to rescue so we just kept the name he was using. Baxter is a fine name and it fits him.
Sue
Fergus 5 yr old tri
Baxter 9 yr old sable
Toby 10 yr old Pom
Baxnfursmom

Postby trishym » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Love the Name Fergus, That sounds perfect.
Trish :)
trishym

Postby leighnivens » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:23 pm

We just adopted an adult Sheltie...we named him Adam Ezekiel. Adam because he is the first male dog we've owned, and Ezekiel because it means "God strengthens" and sometimes when training an adult Sheltie you need all the strengthening you can get LOL! But we call him Zeke for short. He is a merle sheltie :D we're so proud, this is our first Sheltie! We also adopted a shepherd mix and her name is Artemis Annabeth, but we call her Annabeth. Artemis was the Greek goddess of the hunt and Annabeth is the heroine from my husbands favorite books the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series.
leighnivens

Postby Baxnfursmom » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:15 am

leighnivens wrote:We just adopted an adult Sheltie...we named him Adam Ezekiel. Adam because he is the first male dog we've owned, and Ezekiel because it means "God strengthens" and sometimes when training an adult Sheltie you need all the strengthening you can get LOL! But we call him Zeke for short. He is a merle sheltie :D we're so proud, this is our first Sheltie! We also adopted a shepherd mix and her name is Artemis Annabeth, but we call her Annabeth. Artemis was the Greek goddess of the hunt and Annabeth is the heroine from my husbands favorite books the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series.

Your shelties have great names, very unique. I can tell a lot of thought went into choosing these.
Sue
Fergus 5 yr old tri
Baxter 9 yr old sable
Toby 10 yr old Pom
Baxnfursmom

Next

Return to Newbies, General Chat, Meetups