Housetraining Difficulty

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
KarenH

Housetraining Difficulty

Postby KarenH » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 am

Hi!

My Sheltie puppy Butters is 4 months old and I've had him for 2 months. I'm home with him all day and night. I take him out to potty after waking and eating and several times in between because he rings his little bells to go out. We are out sometimes 4-5 times between meals. Yet often he will not go potty outside and goes almost as soon as we walk back in the house. I clean inside accidents about 3-5 times daily.
His walks can be 10-30+ minutes. My fitness tracker shows 5-6 miles walking per day!

There are so many dogs in the neighborhood, I understand doggy play time may be why he wants to be out so much and doesn't focus on his potty time.

He's ok in his crate, but I have used it just for night time and usually 2 naps during the day. When he's up and out it's chaotic, going from one thing to chew to another, and ringing his bells to go outside. He has loads of toys, but has actually pulled up wall to wall carpet, chews house trim boards, throw rugs, his bells, dining chairs...I just hate having to scold him so much.

He's generally happy and playful and every person and dog in the neighborhood is his best friend. I don't want to break his wonderful spirit.

Although I am not keen on it, I am wondering if crating him more during the day even though I am home would help his potty habits and calm him a bit. To work on my own business, cook or clean I find he's got to be in the crate asleep, otherwise he requires total attention. I'm beginning to think formal obedience training may be needed as he's starting to be stubborn and ignores commands he knows.

I've had 2 shelties before but don't recall them being so non-stop mischievous and hard to train. I'm pretty sure he'll improve with age, but any advice in the meantime would be great! Thanks.
Hanne

Re: Housetraining Difficulty

Postby Hanne » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:40 pm

First, I apologize my bad English, and then I will say that I have never used cages inside for my puppies / dogs.
If I had I would use it only as "Cave" without the dor.

Minnie peed inside only once and it was the first morning with me - because I was not observant and fast enough - had forgotten what it was like to have puppy in the house. :|

I have always been impressed that many of your puppies can use a bell, but a Sheltie is also so smart that it very quick finds out it can be used for anything other than potty :lol:

When a puppy is below 5-6 months. Has still not mastered his potty habits.

So at this stage it is up to you to get Butters out when he is needy.

He should be out when he has eaten, played, slept when he goes round and sniff and in between!!!!!
When you're out with him you should be out there so you can see he does his business, and so a lot of praise. It really is many times a day. :shock:

You can not be sure that your puppy at this age like to do his business on your walks.
it is quite a natural thing, not to draw attention to himself.
Therefore he would rather do these things at home.

But when he becomes about 7 months. So it is not uncommon that it will not make it home but only on his trips. :lol:

Perhaps you, like many of us forgot how "difficult" it is to have a puppy, but soon we also have forgotten all this and enjoy our wonderful fur baby.

When Minnie was about 4-5 months. She had a period where she was going out 3-4 times within an hour between 17-18, I was actually quite tired of her, until I discovered that she actually should do business every time so nothing is certain with a puppy :mrgreen:

I always have my puppies in bed at night - when they start walking around - then it's on with my coat and out with puppy - so in a very short time then - out late before bed time and up early.
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!
KarenH

Postby KarenH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Hanne, Thanks very much for the encouragement. This week, at 4.5 months, Butters may have made the connection that outside is where to go potty! He still wants to go out many times a day but at least he is not coming back inside to potty. I've been rewarding with small pieces of Milk Bone puppy treats every time he goes outside. This morning in 3 hours we've been out 6 times, 4 to actually potty and twice when his favorite dogs walked by. :roll: As you suggested, I've always gone out with him; he doesn't have a tie-out. And he's making progress being more obedient overall now. It's great not having to scold him incessantly. He's a wonderful little guy and after two and a half months of housebreaking, I think he's getting it! :D
Anto

Postby Anto » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Well done, Karen! hang in there :) :)
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 am

yes Karen is always good to know that one is not alone about the problems :lol:

Really nice to hear there is good progress ;)

When I translate, I read that you have "scolded"
- it is possible, that it is here it went awry for you - one should never scold about puppy potty training
- just lift your puppy calm and quiet outside and go in and clean up the spot
- we only have to notice when things are right, so we can give a lot of praise - the bad we leave as we have not seen it :roll:
- we must remember the puppy does not do it to be bad, but because it does not know better.

In the worst case it may end up that the puppy will not do business when we are nearby.
Therefore the puppy will wait to make business to it get inside where it finds a free moment.

If people continue to be angry so it may take a very long time before it becomes cleanliness - because it ends up with the problem goes in circles
KarenH

Postby KarenH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks, Anto and Hanne,

The scolding has to do with saying "NO!" to chewing on furniture, etc. I tell him "no" firmly, remove him and offer a toy or chew stick. He's learning what he can and can't chew. He also loves to dig and stops on walks to dig in anyone's yard. So there's "no digging" as well. But overall we're making good progress now :) .
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 pm

So glad to hear it's going well. :D I can read you doing a good job.

Minnie also was "a big digger" - so my garden lawn did not looked so good :shock: , She saw there was a little ant, a little beetle or maybe she thought a ant :D

I have an automatic lawn mower Minnie burrowed holes so it fell into them and then it stood in the hole and said beep sounds, Minnie stood and barked at the lawn mower until I came and got it out of the hole. :lol:

I was getting gray hair of her - but everything stopped when she was about 2 years old, now she only digs when we are on the beach.

When I got my last German shepherds puppy - eventually I had tiles all over the lawn..
I never thought it would stop, but it did. :D
KarenH

Postby KarenH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks, Hanne! :lol: Only a year and a half to go :roll: :P. He's learning quickly now!
Anto

Postby Anto » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 am

HA HA - yes it is amazing how quickly they learn the sound of 'NO!'. Another little trick I have found that works, is that you get a spray bottle with some water in it. And when pup/dog is doing something you don't like, you just say 'water bottle!' and give them a GENTLE squirt. After a while all you have to do is say the word 'water bottle' and they will stop what they are doing without any actual spraying! :) Of course, occassionally they will think it is a bit of game :lol:
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:54 am

Personally, I do not like this method at all - and certainly not for a Sheltie where you spray in a dry coat before combing. ;)

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”