Sheltie and new baby

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
Shep

Sheltie and new baby

Postby Shep » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 am

Hi everyone,

We have a gorgeous 2 year old male Sheltie called Shep. He is typical of the breed, sweet, loving, active and vocal! We are expecting our first baby in November and I wondered if anyone had any advice on how best to prepare Shep the new addition. My biggest worries are making sure Shep still feels loved and part of the family and also how to really minimise barking that might wake a sleeping baby. His biggest triggers for barking are birds in the garden! Advice is welcome!

Thank you all!!
Hanne

Re: Sheltie and new baby

Postby Hanne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Think it will go smoothly then Shep almost are 3 years and becoming an adult.

I have heard of some who have started to "care" a doll, but when you are aware of the situation, then I think he will be happy for a new one in the pack.
You can for example take a clean cloth with little regurgitation from baby home from the maternity ward, and let the dog sniff it. This way the dog has already gotten used to the baby smell BEFORE the baby comes home to stay.

A baby can easily get used to a little barking :lol:
Shep

Postby Shep » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 am

Thanks Hanne! Will definitely bring home cloth with the new baby smells, hoping baby will get used to the barking as well. It's going to have to! :D
Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi!
I use to use this anti-barking collar

https://www.amazon.com/GoodBoy-Training-Progressive-Deterrent-Excessive/dp/B06X18Q4WL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494958968&sr=8-4&keywords=anti+barking+collar+for+small+dog

And It helped.

We new arrivals in California, and before we lived in Russia and practically had no problems with barking as we had no neighbors :lol:
here Eni started to bark at any noise she heard behind the doors... soon our neighbor lived the message...
So it was time to start the correction: to make her realize that "no barking at home"
This collar just sound and vibrate - no shock!

So the first bark - beep
the second bark - beeeeeep
the third bark - beeeeeeeep + vibration

Eni understood from the first time.
Now I use it only if she is barking (so she is not wearing it all the time like before)
I say "Who is barking here? there is my collar?" she sits and waiting I put it.

to say the truth now she understands that it'is just vibration... and that doesn't hurt and sometimes she may bark even with it.
Beeep, beeep , beeep :D
but this is really rare.

Good luck!
We hope it will help as helped us.
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Eni - Is so pretty.

One must be very careful to use such methods -- To such a sensitive breed like Sheltie, I think that's certainly not recommended.

A Sheltie is a barking race because it uses its bark to communicate and to warn.
- they are certainly not like other breeds just barking to bark.

sorry for my bad English.

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”