Training Issue

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
koo21

Training Issue

Postby koo21 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:17 am

I recently brought home a 3 month old Sheltie. All is going well with her training except for one issue. When I take her outside, I have her on a leash for now because she hasn't learned to respond to her name and I am afraid she will run off. She will walk to and through the yard but I cannot get her to walk back to the house. At some point on the way back in, she will lay down and refuse to move regardless of how much coaxing I do. I have had to pick her up and carry her in every time. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
Hanne

Re: Training Issue

Postby Hanne » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:34 am

Everything takes its time and a Sheltie is very sensitive , so they are a little longer about accepting new things / places.

Perhaps she wants to be further out, so a long trip could be tried and then go home another way, so she does not even find out that you're on her way home.

It does not hurt to take her lovingly up, talk nicely to her "Should we go in and have a treat" ? :)

- carry her in, open the door, put her on the stairs and throw a treat into the house, could that be an idea ??

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”