Difficulty with Stairs

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
johnnyc

Difficulty with Stairs

Postby johnnyc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Hello Sheltie Planet,

My 8 month old sheltie hates stairs! She is afraid going down and especially going up. I am wondering what tricks you guys used to desensitize your pups to stairs. I am trying to find carpeted stairs to make it easier for her to go up and down at least for training.

Thanks!

Sadie
Anto

Re: Difficulty with Stairs

Postby Anto » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:36 am

Hello Johnny :) yes i think carpeting the stairs will help. You can try and sit on the step yourself then also, and call pup to you with a treat. Perhaps don't try to do too many at once - literally baby-steps :D
Arkie

Re: Difficulty with Stairs

Postby Arkie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Our sheltie, Arkie, now 2 1/2 will go up or down one or two steps on his own but that's it. He won't get up on furniture either although he will jump down if we put him on the bed or in the car. But when he's on the leash he will go anywhere including up and down long stairways, excalaters, ramps, docks and elevators. He gets on and off boats. I suspect it's because I worked him a lot on the leash while he was a pup and I was socializing him.

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”