Sheltie Puppy- Chewing on wood base boards

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
KatieT

Sheltie Puppy- Chewing on wood base boards

Postby KatieT » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:51 pm

I have 2 sheltie brothers- 8 months old. 1 Blue Merle and 1 Tri,
The Blue Merle continues to eat and chew on our wood baseboards all around the house. We have tried everything, plenty of chewing toys, lots of exercise and have sprayed the base boards with a bitter spray. Any other suggestions to save the rest of the house???
BnB2171

Re: Sheltie Puppy- Chewing on wood base boards

Postby BnB2171 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 am

My sheltie started chewing on my baseboards a couple months ago when they put them in. Without sounding like animal abuse I picked her up by the scruff and scolded her just tellin her bad and no. I put her dog bed against the area and she hasn't done it sense. She's never done anything like that, so I think the smell of the wood being new made her want to chew it? I also did get her a elk antler just after and I find that has really helped with the chewing. It's stiff like the wood and great for her teeth.
When she was a puppy I found a cloth soaked in water and frozen kept her from chewing things that weren't her toy. Just soak a face cloth and then tie it in a knot put it in the freezer and when it's frozen give it to him, that worked for my little girl. :)
Sarah
Beauty & Beast
Anto

Re: Sheltie Puppy- Chewing on wood base boards

Postby Anto » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:50 am

Hi

I am not sure where you are located, but here is Australia we have a product called Vicks Vapour rub - you rub it on your chest and back when you have a cold and are blocked up - it is made from eucalyptus and is a gel type product. Well, upshot of this is dogs HATE the smell. You only need to dab a bit on the area you want to protect and they sniff it and then high-tail it. I've tried it and it works.

Give it a go,

Antoinette and Mia :)

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”