First time Sheltie owner-need advice & suggestions!

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
chinacat

First time Sheltie owner-need advice & suggestions!

Postby chinacat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:45 am

Hi everyone,
I am not a first time dog owner, but a first time sheltie owner. My husband & I recently said good-bye to our Keeshond, she was 12 1/2. We were and still are heartbroken over her. We knew we needed to get another dog, we have no kids and lots of love to give.
A few weeks ago, we adopted a sheltie puppy from a local small time breeder. He was 8 1/2 weeks old when we brought him home- he is now 14 1/2 weeks.
Now, it's been a long time since we had a puppy and our last dog was a very gentle sweet dog. It was just her nature from the get go. I know all dogs are different, but this little guy is wired...all the time. We do crate him and he is doing very well with it. From the moment he comes out of the crate, it is non stop. I understand he's a puppy..but, what I'm curious is, is this just a puppy thing or is he really, or this breed truly this high strung? Everyone I have talked to that has had a sheltie has love them and raved about them, so it has me baffled...

We have a fenced in yard, he has plenty of room to run, and he does. lots of toys, chew toys, etc...I take him for a walk every night and for a while it seemed like it was working. 9-9:30 at night, he would get tired, find a spot to lay down and we'd have a relaxing night with him sleeping.
now, it seems like at that time, after he's been in the yard running and out for a walk- he gets this crazy boost of energy and is wild!
He is biting and chewing everything he can get his mouth on..carpets, shoes, socks, feet, hands, the sofa, an ottoman, toys..and he literally goes from one thing to the next..chew this..now this, get scolded, now this, scolded now this...it's insane.
He is very stubborn and determined to get at something and keep at it even if he has been shooed away 20 times..right back..again and again.
I just can't remember our old dog being like this..is it the breed traits, just a puppy phase..i don't know.
We can't walk without him hanging on your feet biting...he is going to get hurt or stepped on and I dont' know how to stop it.
We have him enrolled in a puppy obedience class starting next week and most likely will go onto the next level after that..

we are exhausted and frustrated and trying everything we know to stop the bad behavior...there is never a time when he cuddles up with you, or just sits..
is he starting to teeth with the chewing, I haven't seen any baby teeth come out yet..
I feel like we get a few good days, where we feel we are making progress- then we backslide and have several bad days where we are so tired and frustrated..
any ideas of suggestion or insight is greatly appreciated!

thanks! anissa
Hanne

Re: First time Sheltie owner-need advice & suggestions!

Postby Hanne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:19 am

I think we all forgot how it's to get a little puppy in the house again.

I've had German Shepherds for over 30 years, and had to realize that a Sheltie has a completely different mind.
They are very, very sencetiv.

After a week I realized that I should adapt myself to my little Sheltie and not vice versa.

Minnie needed to create confidence in me, and she was not a small pet dog.
I had to be quiet and calm and guide her in the right direction, and build confidence.

Now I have never used cages for my dogs (only in the car), they sleep with me at night -when I'm at home, they are with me all the time, and in this way they learn to customize themselves quietly.

It is important we remember it's that puppies must learn everything from scratch.

They have a large activity needs.
We went many shorter trips in the beginning - but about 14 weeks then we went at least to walk morning and afternoon 3/4 - 1 hour each time and before bedtime about ½ hour.

But as you can see so is my English very bad, so I'll give you the link to my favorite article about Shelties
http://njsheltierescue.org/sheltie_right.html (please copy and past in your browser)

When Minnie was about 3/4 year she had total confidence in me, everything became much easier, and she liked to lie on the couch with me.

Today she is 20 months and like to lie on my lap now and then, and she is absolutely a lovely, obedient, funny and active dog.
--- I love her so much. ----
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!
chinacat

Postby chinacat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:49 am

thanks for your reply.
it is easy to forget how active puppies are and you always wonder, is mine just bad..or being a puppy?
I've never had a sheltie before, so I wasn't sure if some of the quirks were breed specific...

we are starting to find that if we show less frustration, more calm voices, the less agitated he is, the more he listens and calms down instead of getting wilder and wilder...

he starts his puppy obedience class tonight, so I'm hoping that will help also!
Anto

Postby Anto » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:06 am

ah yes, sounds very familiar :) I had the same experience. My last girl passed away at 13, so when I got my girl Mia, I was in shock! We easily forget how much get up and go puppies have. You need six pairs of eyes :) But hang in there..... establish a routine as best as you can. You have a wonderful breed there, that are very smart and very loyal. Take it slow, it will get easier for sure.

Enjoy! :)

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”