Sudden fixation with a corner of garden

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.

Sudden fixation with a corner of garden

Postby Nutmeg37 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:39 pm

Hi everyone. I have an 18 month old Sheltie named Dougal. We have trained him not to set foot in our raised garden border, and he's usually pretty good, but this week he suddenly became obsessed with the back corner of my vege garden and I can't keep him out of it! Despite a MOST emphatic telling off whenever he goes in, every time I let him outside he's straight in there. I assume he saw a mouse or a cat once and has now decided it's a danger zone. I can't find anything out of place there. He is now on high alert ALL THE TIME, and extra sensitive to any tiny noise from the street or neighbours. Even when we're just chilling inside, several times an hour he suddenly barks like mad at a window or growls and paces the room, and I can never see or hear anything that might have alarmed him.

I am kind of tempted to let him go in the garden and reassure himself that there's no danger in that one spot, but I don't want him to ever think it's ok to go in there. He has always been a little jumpy at noises from the neighbourhood, but this is getting out of hand. It's been a whole week now, and whatever was once in that corner has surely gone. How can I calm my poor boy down and get some peace around here??? I just can't figure out what's upset him! :'(

Any advice greatly appreciated

Re: Sudden fixation with a corner of garden

Postby Anto » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:55 pm

Yep I have a sheltie that gets fixated on things too. Is it too simple a solution to just try and distract him? Maybe take him near the area but do something fun there that might put him near the place, but doing something else while he is there.... and then gradually move him away from that area. After a while he might forget all about it...

Let us know how you go

Mia's mum :)

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”