6month old puppy won't go anywhere but dog park

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
jaxielin

6month old puppy won't go anywhere but dog park

Postby jaxielin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:54 pm

We adopted a sheltie puppy from a family that had 3 other really large dogs and 5 kids. They had to give him up because he was stressing with all the noise/hustle/bustle. He is crate trained, and has become really at home here. He is friendly and playful and eats and drinks with no problems. The only problem we have is he will only go in a dog park. Its just my husband and I and we live in an apartment. We take him out every 2 hours...just to try and get him to go. He won't...we tried everything and then when we went to the dog park he went right away. He will go if there are other dogs there, or if no dog is there. Our apartment has many dogs so he can smell them when he goes outside here too...so its not because he is looking to go where other dogs are. Any ideas how to get him to go?
Anto

Re: 6month old puppy won't go anywhere but dog park

Postby Anto » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:40 am

Hello Jaxielin :)

This may sound a bit odd, but maybe next time you go to the dog park, and he poops, collect it in a bag, and bring it home. Then put it where you would like him to actually go. Hopefully he will see it as territory he needs to 'mark', and when he does, give him lots of praise.

Let me know how it goes.

Keep lovin' that pup! :)

Antoinette :)
c0dy

Postby c0dy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Anto wrote:Hello Jaxielin :)

This may sound a bit odd, but maybe next time you go to the dog park, and he poops, collect it in a bag, and bring it home. Then put it where you would like him to actually go. Hopefully he will see it as territory he needs to 'mark', and when he does, give him lots of praise.

Let me know how it goes.

Keep lovin' that pup! :)

Antoinette :)

I had to do somewhat similar with my pup when I got her - we had a foot+ of snow all over my back yard and she just wouldn't go (except inside) so I started bringing it outside to the area under a tree I'd cleared of snow and brought her there to smell it every time we went out and eventually she started going there. Praise the heck out of your pup and bring treats (and the clicker if you use one)! Make him thing it's the best thing in the world! Any time she'd go I'd say "go potty!" and praise her - she eventually associated going to the bathroom with that and now any time I say that when we're outside she'll try to go!
Anto

Postby Anto » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:03 am

must say, Cody, that is one cute puppy!! :)
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:10 am

Think this is a Shelties thing - I've read about this behavior in several places.

When Minnie was aware of her toilet habits around 5-6 months. That was the end to go potty in our tiny garden. :roll:

So she would only make her business reach we went for a walk.
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”