Help! We adopted a frightedened and feral Sheltie

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
arlanger

Help! We adopted a frightedened and feral Sheltie

Postby arlanger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:13 am

We are at our wits ends about what to do about Shiloh, our 2 year old adoptee. First of all, I want you to know we've been family with Shelties since 1989. We just lost one of a pair of 14 year old Shelties and the remaining Sheltie, Mulder, was lonesome. At first, the dog we adopted appeared to be just perfect. She seemed to like my husband while she barked and ran from me. I naively thought I could get her through that. Now she barks and runs from him. Unless it's mealtime, neither of us can get near her. This is the first time in my many years that I haven't been able to make friends with any dog almost immediately.
Am I correct in assuming that her shivering when I am near her is because she is afraid of me? She has that “tail between her legs” fearful look.
Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Arlan
Ronna58

Re: Help! We adopted a frightedened and feral Sheltie

Postby Ronna58 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:30 am

Hi: Welcome to the forum.

First - how long have you had your Sheltie? It takes time for some to adjust.

1. Block off areas so she only has a small area to roam in. Put her crate there, feed her there.

2. Don't try to approach her directly. Ignore her - let her come to you. Someone I knew sat on the floor with their rescue Sheltie and read to them.

3. Hand feed.

4. Persistence and patience. She is frightened, as you suspect, and you probably don't know all that went on with her in the past.

5. When she is more comfortable, leash her and keep her with you.

6. Persistence and patience, once again. It takes times - don't give up. Don't get frustrated, as she will pick that up from you.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley
arlanger

Postby arlanger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful and prompt reply. It seems like we should have already thought of all your advice. We do have her crate in a cool and quiet place even before your recommendation. When I attach her lease to my belt, she is **not** afraid of the belt, just of me -- I hope that means she was not physically abused?????????
I'll keep this forum posted on our luck, but I hope not too many other Sheltie families will ever have this problem.
Thanks, again, Arlan (and Ken)
Ronna58

Postby Ronna58 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Depending on her breeder, she just may not have been socialized well. Keep up the good work with her - it takes time but it will pay off. Celebrate the small steps.

Shelties can be just like you have described, or they can be very outgoing. I have one who is shyer around people she doesn't know, the other two not so much.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley
stelz

Postby stelz » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:07 am

This lady did it with an 11 year old feral Akita. There's a few techniques in the article you might try. https://positively.com/contributors/akila-a-feral-beauty-once-thought-to-be-a-wolf-learns-how-to-love-through-positive-training/

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”