Losing a young sheltie - WHY

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
DebbyF

Losing a young sheltie - WHY

Postby DebbyF » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:32 pm

I am beyond devastated with grief. Why did my sheltie, just 7 days shy of her 3rd birthday die? How often does this happen?

It was very unexpected and quick, here today and gone tomorrow. After spending Sunday at the vet then on to the emergency vet, we discovered her right kidney was full of cancer - well that's what we think. The vet could not find her kidney in the ultrasound, rather a very large mass with calcifications and spiculations. Of course this was her kidney - they just did not want to say for certain. Her adrenal glands for 4 x the size they were supposed to be. That is what we knew Sunday. They did not xray her chest to see if there were mets in her lungs. Bloodwork completely normal and her activity level up until Sunday was normal as well.

Our plan was to CT scan her Tuesday, but Monday night she took a turn for the worse, the poor thing was shaking, breathing laboriously and her gums turned pale and she could no longer walk. We knew in our hearts her time had come. What a crushing blow, she was just a baby.

Compounding this is the fact that this time last year, I lost my senior (heart) sheltie to old age - 1 month shy of turning 15. I nursed her for 2 weeks until it was time to say good bye to her. I had purchased the young one, not to replace the older one, but to ease my pain when the senior finally passed. 2 dogs in 12 months, gone. The young one benefitted from the time spent with the older one and she certainly filled the void when the senior passed. I grew very close to the little one.

Everyone here understands the love of a sheltie. They are the most wonderful, loving companions a person can have. My senior never left my side during my bout with cancer, she was always in tune with me emotionally and was a constant companion. If I was upset, she sensed it and was right there with me, kissing me and absorbing my pain. The little one was following in the senior dogs footsteps and quite a loving, sweet dog with such a wonderful disposition. She loved herding, chasing birds and squirrels, running on the beach, waking me up in the morning with kisses and going for many walks. I loved her dearly and I cannot believe she is gone, denied growing old, maturing into an adult dog.

I purchased her from a reputable breeder who was a judge at many dog shows. She raised many champion show dogs with impressive pedigrees. Co-incidentally this was the second sheltie from the same breeder (I've had 3 shelties in my lifetime 2 from the same breeder who died suddenly in a similar manner). My first sheltie I purchased from the breeder died at age 8 from hemangiosarcoma approx. 4 years ago.

Why did my baby die- not even 3 years old? How do things like this happen?

I am beyond devastated and gutted. Shelties have been in my life 18 years. Now they are gone - all 3 of them. The loss of the baby hurts the most, so sudden and so young and so shocking.

I am now rambling but I am full of pain, gutted and beyond devastated. I miss my baby Willow. She was here 24 hours ago, now gone.
Hanne

Re: Losing a young sheltie - WHY

Postby Hanne » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:02 pm

I understand your great grief, losing our fur-friend is hardly to come over, even though it's because of age and we know it's over.

But losing 3 must be preconceived and seemed almost impossible to get over.

But for me, my only option would be to find a little new friend - not as a replacement, but to move on in your life.

Cancer is a terrible disease, both for humans and animals.

Maybe you should be glad that it went so fast - they might as well be discovered later and your friend had been bad for a long time
and the longer we have them harder it's losing.

Have you spoken to the breeder maybe she has a solution with a older one ore a little new??

You have to move on even though it is currently impossible.

So sorry for my bad english
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!
pimbot

Postby pimbot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Im so sorry for your loss!
My sheltie died at 3.4 months, so i know your pain :( he had renal dysplasi :(
Anto

Postby Anto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 am

Oh I am so sorry :**( . I don't know why this happened to your little one. The pain will be hard to bear for a while. It will ease with time,then pop up again unexpectedly. But hang in there.... so so sorry :(.

Did you speak with the breeder to see if they can shed any light on this?

God bless,

Kindest regards

Antoinette :(
DebbyF

Postby DebbyF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. My husband and are incredibly sad and heartbroken over our loss.

I did speak with the breeder who said "she hasn't seen cancer in her dogs". Well the first dog I purchased from her died at almost 9 due to hemangiosarcoma - that is cancer. That was 4 years ago. I'm at a loss of words.

She no longer breeds dogs and to be perfectly honest I would not want any from her bloodlines because 2 of the dogs I purchased from her died very suddenly with cancer. With the most shocking one being my baby Willow at age 2.11 years. The other sheltie who passed last year was 1 month shy of 15 and came from a completely different breeder who no longer breeds either.

I will look for another one not to replace Willow, but to help patch the hole in our hearts. She was such a character, I miss her dearly!!!
Anto

Postby Anto » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello Debbie

Just wondering how you are all doing?

Kindest regards

Antoinette xx
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:23 am

Antoinette - a really nice post.
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!
Anto

Postby Anto » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Thanks, Hanne... Debby popped into my head the other day so i thought I would check in.... It is hard losing a much loved pup, and so suddenly also.

Hope you are well.

Antoinette and Miss Mia :)

Return to “Health and Grooming”