Happy Dog food (instead of Acana)

What to feed your Sheltie for optimum health and happiness.
marcnl

Happy Dog food (instead of Acana)

Postby marcnl » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:33 am

Hi,

We have a Sheltie male puppy of 19 weeks, 4,2 kg, 32 cm height (to shoulder) and 36 cm length (to chest). From the 9 week we feed him Acana Puppy Junior, because it's a great quality product. I still think it's great, but believe it doesn't works on my friend. His stool keeps a bit soft (not always, but most of the time) and often a large amount. He poops 4-5 a day.

We tried al advices, like lowering the amount (we're now on 90-100 grams a day). We don't see any real improvement.

So, we've started to move him to a German brand named Happy Dog. It doesn't use as many meat as Acana, but because of that (according to opinions I've read) he might react better on it. Every dog is different right?

I'm not an expert. Certainly not. I tried to comprehend the ingredients, but for a non-expert that's hard.

So I'm hoping that someone, with a better knowledge, could look at it and comment on it.

This is the food I'm now using:
http://www.happydog.de/en/dog-food/dry-food-puppy-mini-baby-junior/

Thanks in advance!
Hanne

Re: Happy Dog food (instead of Acana)

Postby Hanne » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:13 pm

We have tried several brands, also Acana, with the same result as you.

I was advised From Gold by a breeder from the United States, which is not so known a brand in Denmark.

I've found a seller and are now starting the first bag, and I have to say it's definitely the best "belly" she has had, now she only poops 1 to 2 (most) a day.

She is 3 years and 2 days :-)
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!
marcnl

Re: Happy Dog food (instead of Acana)

Postby marcnl » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Hanne wrote:We have tried several brands, also Acana, with the same result as you.

I was advised From Gold by a breeder from the United States, which is not so known a brand in Denmark.

I've found a seller and are now starting the first bag, and I have to say it's definitely the best "belly" she has had, now she only poops 1 to 2 (most) a day.

She is 3 years and 2 days :-)

Good to hear that. Today he had a regular puppy check, and the vet said it's normal that "quality food" with large amounts of meat won't work for every dog. Especially Shelties are very sensitive.

As I'm not an expert, choosing a brand is a bit of a gamble. I try to avoid large commercial food brands, because I don't trust them when they advertise a lot. Happy Dog isn't very know either, but it's a German family business and hear good things. But again, it's a gamble because I can't judge the ingredients.

But for us the gamble worked. After 2 days we see huge improvements, good firm dark stool and much smaller amount and times. We're happy with Happy Dog :). I hope that someone can tell if the ingredients are ok.

Return to “Food and Nutrition”