My Sheltie was rescued from death in S. Korea

Share your favorite photos of your beloved fur friends!
Finnsmom

My Sheltie was rescued from death in S. Korea

Post by Finnsmom » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:15 am

Hello everyone,
I thought I'd share my little boy Finn's story. I've rescued a number of dogs from the horrors of the dog meat industry in S. Korea but I was shocked when I saw the pictures posted by a rescuer who came across a group of Collies & Shelties, starving, neglected & facing a horrible death, penned up on a concrete pad. I found out about the unbelievable practice of torturing dogs (the belief is that the fear the dog feels before being killed, pumps adrenaline through their bodies, thus making their meat more tender, making the eater more virile & cooling their bodies. A completely irrational belief.) in 2015 after being asked to sign a petition to stop the Yulin Dog Meat Festival. I'd never heard of this before & after researching, found dog meat festivals are common in Asian countries. Protests have been met with apathy, violence, etc. But rescue groups, often a single woman, will take the risks to save however many dogs they can. They know that the only safe dog is a dog that is no longer living in their country and will make the arrangements/get the proper medical care/documents to ship the dog to the USA & Canada. The pictures & videos are hard to watch and will stay with you forever, as they have done with me. This particular group of dogs broke my heart because as we know, Shelties & Collies are very sensitive, gentle and intelligent dogs. What they went through is indescribable and the pictures were hard to look at, full grown Collies that were only a few pounds, they had the look of death about them, eyes were dry, sunken in, too weak to care or even be afraid anymore. I sent a message to the rescuer that I wanted to adopt one of the dogs. Thus, Finn and I found each other. I saw the photos of this little boy, too weak to stand, just a bag of bones, slowly strengthen enough to take the long journey out of S. Korea to the United States. We picked him up from JFK and brought him home to Pennsylvania. The next morning he took his first steps on green grass, free, safe and on the road to being a happy, healthy dog. He was so small, ribs showing, unhealthy coat and dull eyes. He tried to run but because of his terrible start in life, could only take a few steps before having to lay down & rest. We got him to the vet right away, put him on a good diet and he improved so quickly in every way. A trip to our groomer revealed the beauty that was meant to be. I look at Finn now (and listen to him), running around, playing with his toys, keeping track of all our other dogs and think just a few more days left where he was & he would have been one of the group rescued that didn't make it.
Attachments
collie pup brown 2.jpg
Collie rescue1.jpg
collie rescue5.jpg

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Re: My Sheltie was rescued from death in S. Korea

Post by SheltiePlanet » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:37 pm

THANK YOU for saving Finn! It's so painful to even think about what cruelty goes on in the dog meat trade. But it's only by confronting the problem head on and helping like you have that we can help stop it forever.

I have shared your story on the main site as I really hope more people get involved with volunteering, donating and adopting from Asia where these dogs desperately need to be saved. https://www.sheltieplanet.com/saved-from-the-dog-meat-industry.php
Becky
Sheltie Planet