Need Help With Potty Training

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.
Artemis

Need Help With Potty Training

Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I have a pup named Artemis that is 6 months old, we got her 5 months ago from a place that would let her go anywhere she wanted. I’m not going to try to be perfect and I’m just going to be straight up, the first month we had her I was not consistent with potty training. I’ve read multiple articles and the only thing that has worked is putting her in a playpen outside and walking around in circles multiple times until she goes, if she does I always praise her and give her a treat. I recently just found this trick 2 weeks ago and have been doing it nonstop except for when I’m at school. My Mom is home only half the day while I’m at school and won’t take her to the potty spot that both Artemis and I have agreed on(it’s literally 5 feet away from our front door) and I’ve told my mom that you have to have one specific spot for her to go potty. I now have to crate the dog almost all day unless she went outside because my mom is tired of her peeing in the house and is going to get rid of her if it continues. Artemis has a very small attention span and will chase leaves and cars(we don’t have a backyard so I can’t take her somewhere quiet) I got Artemis to ignore birds so now when we’re outside there’s no wind, no cars or other dogs she’ll look at a tree that’s doing nothing to stop herself from peeing outside, I take her inside and she goes potty. So what I do now is take her out for 10 minutes put her in the playpen and walk around in circles, she doesn’t go so I put her in the crate for 5-10 minutes then repeat the cycle and she never goes. I’m getting so frustrated and I’ve been sick all week so I’ve been able to work with her and still no result. I’m currently the only one trying to train Artemis and when I ask for help my mom and brother say “it’s your dog so we don’t have to help train her it’s your job” and then they’re all over her calling her their dog and it boils my blood. If you have any tips please list them I’m tired of my mom complaining about the dog not going potty and then doing nothing to try and fix it.