Howdy! What do I expect?

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.
Jaleely

Howdy! What do I expect?

Postby Jaleely » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 am

Hello again, all! I finally got at least one photo of Finn up...my avatar!
Isn't he PRECIOUS!!! Yes, yes he is, lol.
So!
New to shelties, yes. Puppies, no. But...unaltered males are new.
We have been considering keeping Finn intact. The worry is that, of course, he'd mark. (Are shelties better at learning not to do this? I would think they could be redirected more easily than other breeds, to just keep it outside. Not sure though!)
We currently have a 14 year old, deaf beagle (Daisy) who drives me nuts with marking. She humps, marks...she was supposedly fixed very young.
She's never been alpha, so i get why she humps. Always testing!
It is very annoying though.

Finn has humped twice now. Involuntarily, of course, at this stage, and doesn't seem to know he's doing it. Tips on that? Tips on when he does it on purpose? lol

He also goes up to any other dog...butt-first. Is that a male thing? lol
It's so funny, but I wasn't sure if it was a sheltie puppy thing, or a male thing.

Lastly...I need some advice for jealousy!
Bowser, my basset hound...has been just that...mine. I am his human, lol
Bathroom visits have never been lonely at our house!
If i hear great sniffing under the door, it's Bowser. If see a "kitty" paw, it's Finn, lol.
(And yes, I mentioned in another post that we laugh and call him a kitty, because I've never seen an animal that's not a cat, act more cat-like!)

I've tried a few things i've read online...only give Bowser attention as a reward for tolerating Finn, or only when finn is present. Spend "me" time with each, don't play favorites...Bowser has always been very much a 2 year old brat, though. As in, he thinks he is a human child, and I think he is stuck in terrible twos, lol
He is very sensitive. He is my soul dog! And he really loves finn...unless something sets him on the jealousy train.
Today I realized that something I've been dreading might be happening...Finn is getting jealous of Bowser!!
Not sure, but he might be. I'm trying to manage it both ways now, and only going a little bit crazy...lol

Bowser was neutered at 4 months. My husband thinks that is why bowser is a wuss.. (lol) he is a bit of a coward...But i know he's just been really sheltered, and he used to be better...but now we are kind of hermits. I plan to take Finn to the dog park.
(He's just recently had his last shots, 17 weeks old now...we've had to wait to go to the park, the past few days because of the fires down here in Ventura, CA)

Anyway, I realize i'm jumping all over, but it's hard to make a new discussion sometimes! : )
I always appreciate well meaning advice!
Thank you guys!
Finn's mama,

Melissa
Jaleely

Re: Howdy! What do I expect?

Postby Jaleely » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:30 am

Wow, kind of dead around here...unless I posted in the wrong section? :)
Finn's mama,

Melissa
Jean

Re: Howdy! What do I expect?

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:18 am

Hi Melissa, as regards to the humping. I am under the impression it is a dominance thing. One dog trying to dominate the other. They also do it to humans so have to stop that too.
As far as when meeting other dogs, and yours goes butt first, I'd say it would be here get to know me while I'm getting to know you. Don't really know but hope this has been of some help to you. Jean

Return to “Newbies, General Chat, Meetups”