Color changes in a tri colored puppy

For general Sheltie chat, local meetups, and new members to introduce themselves.
PeggyS

Re: Color changes in a tri colored puppy

Post by PeggyS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:56 am

Here is a picture of Dexter, 16 weeks. He has light tan on his cheeks, a bit just starting above his eyes and a bit in his ears.
Attachments
Dexter 16 weeks.JPG
Dexter 16 weeks.JPG (17.41 KiB) Viewed 5840 times

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:14 pm

What a sweetheart. If he is getting tan now, he is a tri. Looking at the picture he almost looks like a bi-black but you can see some tan on him. Definitely not a sable.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

ScoutL

Post by ScoutL » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:07 am

Our 9 month old Sheltie, Scout, is a black and white bicolor - but once he turned about 6 months and started getting his gorgeous adult coat, we were surprised to find some brand new chocolate brown shading on his belly only visible when he rolled over for belly rubs. The black just below his ears definitely has a little brownish tinge to it as well, although the rest of him remains as pure black and white as can be. Articles I've read on bicolors say their coat can "rust" and the brown color make more of an appearance throughout their lives, although none really explained why. Personally, I think our little guys and girls just like to keep us on our toes and guessing what they'll do next! :lol:
Karen
Scout, bi-black, 8 months

ScoutL

Post by ScoutL » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:29 am

Oh! Just saw your picture and he's cute as can be! He looks a lot like Scout at that age but with more white on his face. There's a book written in the '70's called "Sheltie Talk" by Betty Jo McKinney that has an extensive section on color stating the bi-black (black with white markings and no tan on the face) is recessive to tricolor and needs to be inherited from both parents to be expressed. I know Scout's dad was a bi-black, his mom was a sable with a bi-black sister, and his litter also had a sable, mahogany sable, tri color and blue merle, so he has the bi-color gene on both sides. Whatever his lineage, your little guy is just gorgeous!
Karen
Scout, bi-black, 8 months

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Post by SheltiePlanet » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:10 am

Hi Peggy, I think Dexter (great name) is definitely either a bi-black (black & white only) or a tri-color (black, white & tan). His coloring is quite distinct.

I can see how mahogany sables are different from tri-colors -- what a beautiful range of markings though! Is it just me or do Shelties and Rough Collies show the most variation in coat colors of all dog breeds?
Becky Casale
Sheltie Planet

For a goldmine of info on Shelties, check out my 190-page ebook: The Pet Owner's Guide to Shelties