shy at the highest level

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
wmildman

shy at the highest level

Postby wmildman » Tue May 22, 2018 6:12 pm

We have had Shelties for 30+ years and each one has been different, as they should be. Our latest little girl is sitting in the recliner with me as I type and sleeps in our bed as if she has been with us all of her life. She is approximately 4 years old and it took me almost 2 hours to convince her to come in on the back porch. I was talking softly, offered treats (which she walked by uninterested) If I ignore her sometimes she will come to me for petting. Most of the time she acts scared and very timid. I know this may take a long time to overcome but does anyone have any ideas to make it better for her? This is her forever home. I want her to be happy and healthy and part of that is NOT being afraid.
Any tips are appreciated.
jazz

Re: shy at the highest level

Postby jazz » Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi, are there any other shelties at home? My new puppy was a bit like that for the first few days, so I just got our wool rug and lay down on it in front of the sofa ( quietly ) watching TV ( which was turned down low ) with a quarter chicken. She watched from the porch slider (door)
as I slowly and quietly nibbled on the chicken. after about 1/2 an hour she came in a few steps, looked around, sniffed the floor, the air, and retreated. I lay still, no noise, no sudden movements, just the TV. A few moments later she repeated her trial, a couple of moments later, the same but each time less and less time. Eventually, after another 1/2 hour or so, stood just 2 or 3 feet away curiously sniffing at the chicken. I slowly offered her a piece, she backed off a little, so I placed it on the floor and withdrew my hand, SLOWLY. I then slowly rolled on my back and ignored her. she then advanced to the chicken and ate, lay down and dozed off. I am still stiff from laying there till she awoke a while later. I think she is starting to realise that I mean her no harm. Love, Time and patience is what it will take, but be assured that [color=#FF00FF]you will become inseperable.[/ ;) color] Best of Luck. let me know how you get on. ;)
Jazz... in my heart forever. :(
wmildman

Postby wmildman » Thu May 24, 2018 12:37 pm

We have 3 other Shelties, all girls. 2 we have had since 8 weeks, the other, another one of those situations that needed a home. In her case we think she was somewhat abused, or at least not treated as special as she is. Before I fenced the back yard I made the mistake of letting her go potty off leash (we live in the country) 2-3 hours later she finally came close and laid down. The whole time she was running around me, not going anywhere, but just not coming to me. I sat on a bucket for a while then just the ground. She loves animal cookies, (we don't tell) Finally I laid down (I was ready to come in) I can now take her out and she will come back in when I call/come in. Then just looks at me like did I do good huh, huh, yea, yea. All excited. She loves her back yard and her crate at night, (her choice to go in)
This newest girl will lay in bed as long as I do. I look at her and ask potty outside? she will go to the door and wait for me to open it. Coming back in from the fenced yard is different. I have sat, laid, called and every time she looks in she turns around. Like you I just talk softly and wait her out. She is going to be convinced one day this is where she wants to be. I am confused by her different actions. laying on the bed or sitting in my chair she looks like come on over and sit with me, but outside I am a monster trying to eat her.
I plan a new thing today, take her out on a leash, walk around, sit down and spend time with her up close in the yard. And maybe some chicken as a reward. She has to want to come in.

Update; she seems to be doing a little better, the leash thing is not working. I do not recall ever having one that would not look at you. They almost always make eye contact as you speak, like they are just hanging on every word. Not this girl, she will not make eye contact or look at you more than a glance. While sitting on the back porch if I am looking away (she thinks)then she sneaks in, I close the storm door behind her and we talk for a bit and after the foot wiping and some petting and talking, she is allowed inside and usually goes for the bed. Slowly we make progress. It will happen. It still blows me away about the chair, she would sit here all day even when I get up she stays and waits until I come back then we get re-situated. She has not played with the others, tends to stay away, especially while they are playing chase. Time !!
wmildman

Postby wmildman » Wed May 30, 2018 2:32 pm

I would like to thank everyone for all the replies, however having only one,,,,
Thank You Jazz. I do appreciate your reply and support. Her new name is Tater, and I got some grief from my wife but she is either in my chair or on the bed therefore "chair potato" shortened to Tater. She is following me around the house and is coming up for attention. Not quite there yet but we are making progress. Slowly is not my normal, but we are moving forward. I will hold her in my lap and gently keep her head facing me and just talk to her until she relaxes, not a wrestling match but a gentle snuggle. For what it is worth she is starting to look at me some. She watches me when she thinks I not looking, but mirrors are good for that. We will make it!!
wmildman

Postby wmildman » Wed May 30, 2018 3:59 pm

WOW, kinda strange what a little thunder will do. Tater is almost under my feet, the closest she has laid so far. She was following me to the office and laying a few feet away but now I have to look before I move my chair and before my squeaky chair seemed to bother her she is just laying there, looking around. I don't think she is trembling or any other signs of fear from the storm, just laying closer. Cross your fingers it continues. I guess everyone thinks I'm nuts and I am, but we do like our Shelties and want them happy and healthy. I tell everyone I am running on 2 brain cells and one of those is devoted to life support.
wmildman

Postby wmildman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:59 am

And SLOWLY we make progress. She is doing a lot better, not quite there yet but close.
wmildman

Postby wmildman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Latest update; Last night/evening We let a 4 go out for potty beddy bye (sounds silly but they learn the terms and times) Well 3 came in got their feet wiped and ready to go inside while our newest girl is at the steps looking in. The girl that we adopted before her (#3) went back outside as if to say "it is OK". They wandered about the yard for a little bit and #3 came back to the porch, so I wiped her feet again and she went inside. Now #4 is all by herself, so I sat on the porch and called her a couple of times. Low and behold she is looking in and I calmly called her, she made a circle and was looking in again. I started talking to her and she comes in on the porch, makes a circle toward me and then comes over within arms reach so I just petted and talked nice. (did not grab or sudden moves even though I was tempted) after just a couple of rubs she is even closer so I wiped her feet while talking and then we go inside. We always give little beddy bye cookie, this time she came to me instead of me going to her.
SO maybe she is coming around.

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”