How to stop demand barking?

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
Kaylac

How to stop demand barking?

Post by Kaylac » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

My sheltie so far only barks when she wants to play or wants attention. I’ve tried leaving the room, turning my back, holding her mouth shut and saying quiet. She’s quite alpha it seams because when I tel her to sit often she just barks in denial wanting to play (even though she very well knows what sit is) I’ve had her about a week and she’s 10 weeks old. I just don’t know how to get her to not bark when wanting to play or get attention. She barks most in her play pen when she wants me to join her

Hanne

Re: How to stop demand barking?

Post by Hanne » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:45 pm

A Sheltie is a barking race, so that's its nature.

I do not understand why the puppy is not allowed to be with you, it does not want to be closed away.

I always have my puppies staying with me when I'm home, that way you get a safe puppy, I never use cages when I am away

http://njsheltierescue.org/sheltie_right.html
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!

wmildman

Post by wmildman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:01 pm

I agree with Hanne. One of the qualities we have enjoyed is their wanting to be with/around us. Our furry four legged children, except they never out grow you. We are as goofy as you get and enjoy Shelties. They will bark and the surgery is inhumane and they still try to bark and sounds awful. (Sorta like asking a Great Pyrenees to not shed or bark or dig holes or protect your pasture)

BnB2171

Post by BnB2171 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am

I used clicker training and treats. Worked like a charm. Learned it all on YouTube
Sarah
Beauty & Beast

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:01 am

I agree with Hanne. From me ( brief ) experience, our sheltie just wants to be with me. *All the time*. Whenever I am I know she is a metre behind me, intently watching what I am doing, or just having a snooze. Initially I used to put her in her soft crate and position the crate so she could see what I was doing, like cooking dinner or doing gardening. But now we have some basic ground rules down she knows not to come into the kitchen and will sit just outside the "forbidden zone" watching me cook.

She does bark, but it's getting rarer and less intense. Noways it's usually to alert us to possible intruders or the killer postman, But even these have changed from the piercing sheltie bark to a low "gruff". The only time she still goes off her nut barking is when I have a shower and nobody else is home. It's because she looses sight of me. I try and wet down the shower screen so she can still see me. This seems to help.

AEG63

Post by AEG63 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 pm

I have a 4 year old Sheltie, I love him dearly, but he has become obsessed when it comes to feeding time. He goes into a frantic session of loud barking and it seems like nothing we do can seem to correct this problem. I am sure that while he was a pup, we would really play up mealtime, I know that didn't help at all. So with that being done in the past, my question is how do I get him to unlearn that behavior, when he was younger it was cute, but now that he is an adult dog, it is horrible, we are dreading mealtime because we get so frustrated. I can get him to briefly stop when I give him the down command, but usually he begins as soon as he hears me putting his food in his bowl. I cannot let him out of his crate until I gt the food in the bowel because the barking is even more intense and he jumps around wildly and is uncontrollable. A friend of mine said to use a shock collar, in which I shot that down immediately!! Any suggestions?

FloofMom

Post by FloofMom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:11 pm

I sympathize and wish I could offer advice. My almost-2-yr-old barks aggressively whenever I cook or clean. He's triggered by the sight of a potholder or the aluminum foil or a dusting rag or a broom in my hand. Turning my back does nothing to deter him. I hired a dog trainer to give me advice. It all came down to setting boundaries. I'm supposed to keep Loki out of the kitchen (firm command, block the entrance with my body until he settles) when I'm working. This proves to be quite difficult because of my open floor plan and my tenacious dog. The trainer thinks that Loki isn't respecting me and that I need to establish my alpha position by demanding a pause and eye contact before feeding, allowing up on couch, etc. He's right. I haven't had to address anything like this with my previous dogs (mixed breeds), and I usually will opt for just get my job done, barking and all, instead of spending time on training. I like my dog being close by, but I may just have to crate him while I work, at least some of the time, for my sanity and his safety. The trainer suggested that I work on a go-to-mat command for whichever room we are in. (He charges the TV and barks when I scroll Netflix.) That's what I'm going to shoot for.