Sleeping through the Night

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
johnnyc

Sleeping through the Night

Postby johnnyc » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:42 pm

Hello fellow Sheltie owners,

I was wondering how long it was until your sheltie was able to hold his/her bladder through the night. Roughly like 11p-6am. We take our 10wk old at about 230am and she wakes up around 5am. Was wondering what schedules yours were on and when you would take them out.

Thanks!
Anto

Re: Sleeping through the Night

Postby Anto » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:08 am

Hello! I reckon Mia started to sleep longer overnight at about 12-15 months, with an occasional accident. She is now nearly 2 and usually sleeps right through until about 5.30am/6am because she is hungry (unless she didn't pee before bed - just some things you can't force - LOL :D - and gets up a bit earlier). So she has her brekky and if I head back to bed, she hops back in with me :)

Antoinette
Mia's mum
johnnyc

Postby johnnyc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:11 am

Hello Antoinette,

Thanks for the reply! We definitely don't mind waking up early as we usually get up around 530. Just curious when Mia was able to hold it to 530 for you as a puppy. Thank you!

John
Anto

Postby Anto » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi John :)

Glad I could help. The early days were pretty hard (until the 12 month mark). I would hear her jump off the bed early in the middle of the night (yes, I'm one of those that let the dog sleep on my bed ;) )- like reeeally early - 1am maybe 2am, and I'd tear out of bed myself before she had a chance to squat. So when she started sleeping through til 5.30 it was an absolute God-send, so i can't really complain when she slips up every now and again.

She hasn't completely mastered the art of letting me know when she has to go, though (if I don't hear her jump off the bed) - she rustles the long blinds on the window sometimes -but its a bit hit and miss.

Does any of that help?

Enjoy your little furry bundle of love. I love my girl to bits!

Antoinette :)
johnnyc

Postby johnnyc » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Anto,

Thank you so much for the reply. She is quite young and doing much better. Currently sleeping till around 430, which is still early, but beats 1 or 2. We are crate training her but resist the urge nightly to pick her up and bring her to bed! We know she well grow out of it sometime but we are quite happy with how she is doing potty training.

Thanks again

John
Hanne

Postby Hanne » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:37 am

I am one of those who has the puppy in bed from the first day. :D
The advantage is that as soon as it starts to walk around in the bed, so it's fast out the door, it takes a short time then we are back to bed again.

Around 5-7 months so they should be in control of their business.

I never use cages for my dogs indoors

Minnie has never had an accident.
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”