Frightened to go on walks

Discuss behavior and temperament issues, including your favorite dog training techniques.
Winnie

Frightened to go on walks

Postby Winnie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi there,

My 1 year old female sheltie, Winnie, is terrified when we go for walks. She will sit down the minute she sees/hears the cars going by. She'll pull back trying to go back in the other direction toward home. I say "it's ok Win, lets go" and I tug on the leash, which is connected to her harness. She'll walk a little ways then sit or lie down when a car comes near or people walk by. When I think she's had enough (usually won't budge as much) and we head home she actually could care less about the cars and will start to pull me trying to get home. So I guess the silver lining here is that she is highly motivated by home and can tolerate the cars/people in her attempt to get back.

I'd love any and all advice you have. I've tried watching some Cesar Milan videos on this but to no avail lol

Thank you,
Jenna
Attachments
IMG_5066.JPG
Anto

Re: Frightened to go on walks

Postby Anto » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:27 am

Hello Jenna:) What a beautiful girl you have :) that is a tricky dilemma. Is there somewhere you could go that is quiet? to get Winnie used to walking outside away from home? Is she food-orientated? - maybe lure her with some treats?

Let us know how you go.

Antoinette (Mia's mum) :)
Hanne

Re: Frightened to go on walks

Postby Hanne » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:25 am

Jenna I gave a link in your other post:

I love this an article by Trini Gilmore:
http://www.sheltie.com/are_shelties_for_everyone.htm (please copy and past in your browser)

Maybe others could enjoy it too
My 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
Excuse my bad English !!!

Return to “Behavior and Temperament”