Furminator?

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
mjgrotton

Furminator?

Postby mjgrotton » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Has anyone had experience with the Furminator for removing dead undercoat? I am considering it, but have some concerns about damage to the outer coat of my shelties.
Baxnfursmom

Re: Furminator?

Postby Baxnfursmom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:22 pm

I have used the Furminator when they are shedding really bad. What I do is I use it to just pull the undercoat loose and then use a pin brush or slicker to get the hair out. I just recently bought an undercoat rake and actually like that better especially for my little tri. His coat is short but he has a ton of undercoat.
Sue
Fergus 5 yr old tri
Baxter 9 yr old sable
Toby 10 yr old Pom
Ronna58

Postby Ronna58 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:20 pm

I have never used a furminator but some Sheltie owners indicate that they do not like them because they break the fur. I have used an undercoat rake for years and love it, especially when they are shedding. It takes out a lot of the loose fur (whatever does come flying off when they are doing their zoomies :lol: ) and I can then finish up with a slicker or pin brush. I find it really great doing Liam pants - it really takes out the extra fur there.

I do a line brushing of sorts with the rake and find this really takes out the loose undercoat.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley
mjgrotton

Postby mjgrotton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Thank you for your advice. I also use a rake, as well as a metal comb, which works great on the smaller areas that the rake is too big for.... just being lazy and wondering if I could get that shedding out a bit faster. At least my dogs like the grooming - there is always a contest over who goes first!
LisaM77

Postby LisaM77 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19 am

The best grooming tools I have are an undercoat rake and de-matting comb. A close 2nd is a moulting comb - I got it for the cat but she doesn't really need any grooming and it works perfectly on Moose's matts. One of the rakes has a furminator type bit on the back side of it and it does nothing. I had a good look at the pet shop one day and all the info basically confirmed furminators are more for short hair dogs (or at the very least, not for both thick and long fur).

The de-matter I have only has short blades and I'm thinking about getting a longer one for areas where the current one doesn't seem long enough.

In contrast to Moose's massive amount of fur and tendency to matt, Sara takes about 2 minutes to brush once or twice a week at most and never matts!
mjgrotton

Postby mjgrotton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:13 am

Lisa, I have just the opposite: my girl Brandy has massive, massive coat with tons of undercoat which takes lots of time. My boy, Ned, has a "slippery" coat - the fluff just slides out and I can brush him out in about 15 minutes. I do use a grooming spray that really helps to make the outer coat a bit glossy so the grooming is easier. It smells good, too.

I have one of those dematting rakes (sharp on one side). It is useless ... another bunch of $$ down the drain when I could have been spending it on fun stuff like toys or agility equipment!
SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Postby SheltiePlanet » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:03 am

I have a Furminator and I can see why people think it breaks the fur, because it does seem to have a sharp edge to it. I asked the makers about it and they said:

"Since the topcoat lays flatter the coat doesn't look as full, most people think this is because of some sort of cutting action. However, this is not true. When using the deShedding tool, you can actually see the difference in the coat texture of the undercoat being removed versus the topcoat that is left on the pet."

Read more about this in my Furminator review on the website:
http://www.sheltieplanet.com/furminator-review.php

The sharp teeth, I think, are how it grips onto the undercoat while leaving the outercoat untouched. Which makes sense really because if it did cut the fur you would be left with a whole mess of a damaged outer coat and no actual progress on the wooly undercoat. I can say from using it on my dogs that this does not happen! The Furminator selectively takes out undercoat even though you are brushing the surface.

I know there are other good undercoat rakes on the market too. But I chose this because it has a patented design and is so effective - I do like my Furminator at shedding season!
Becky
Sheltie Planet (Facebook | Twitter)
100% Owned By Howard and Piper Woofington Moon

SheebaSheltie

Postby SheebaSheltie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:32 am

Can it be used for treating fleas? Removing the fur and treating the dog with flea treatments, I think is a good way in removing all the fleas and ticks.
Shetland Sheepdog training @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/Shetland-Sheepdog/about-shetland-sheepdog.html
Trainpetdog.com store @ http://www.trainpetdog.com/store/
PetApp

Postby PetApp » Tue May 29, 2018 5:58 am

well i use both. the furminator tool and the coat king. for the thicker coated dogs (like huskys and those big ole hairy monster goldens) i find that the coat king gets out ALOT more hair first off...then i follow up with the furminator tool. i try whichever seems to be deshedding more the most....and i follow up with the other tool. generally if the furminator isnt working i try the coat king and that usually works. but if the coat king isnt working i generally just use the furminator and thats it. sometimes its just one tool sometimes its both.
im not really sure what it would be classified as....as ive never used one other than where i work now! wonderful tool though!

Return to “Health and Grooming”