Should I cut my dog’s fur?

Flea & tick prevention, worming, vaccinations, de-sexing and other health and grooming issues.
cnavarro

Should I cut my dog’s fur?

Post by cnavarro » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 3 year old tri-colored Sheltie named Kona. She is such a fluff ball! I’ve always thought that I shouldn’t touch her fur (as far as cutting goes) because it won’t grow back the same. Is this true? Do any of you trim your pup’s fur?

Thanks!
03C4F89A-2D45-412E-8D09-77AE0CD783B5.jpeg

SheltiePlanet
Site Admin

Re: Should I cut my dog’s fur?

Post by SheltiePlanet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:27 am

Beautiful photo!

Shaving or excessively cutting the fur is not recommended as it won't grow back the same.

I'm wondering if it's the same mechanism as when you shave the hair on your legs. It's soft when you're young but once you shave it, the hair always grows back tough and stubbly! (Guys, is it the same with facial stubble?)

More to the point, a Sheltie's coat is perfectly evolved to keep him cool in the summer by trapping air in between the double coat layers. Clipping a Sheltie only takes away this natural cooling mechanism (remember he can't sweat like us humans) and exposes his vulnerable skin to sunburn.

Keep him well groomed (he'll have a big moult before summer) to remove any dead undercoat. Give him shade and places to keep cool in the sun, and lots of cool water available at all times (with ice cubes for extra fun!)
Becky
Sheltie Planet