Flacky skin and red spots

What to feed your Sheltie for optimum health and happiness.
Tyler3rd

Flacky skin and red spots

Post by Tyler3rd » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:40 pm

My Tyler is a three year old sheltie. I have been to three different vets for his problem skin. First one told me it 's allergies , gave me antibiotics, prednisone and shampoo. The second one also did a complete blood work and said it probably is allergies. Again antibiotics and shampoo. The third one said could have something to do with thyroid even though he had test done for it . Again antibiotics and shampoo . They all work but the problem continues to come back. Anyone out there have this problem? He does' nt itch or scratch but it just looks awful.

Ronna58

Re: Flacky skin and red spots

Post by Ronna58 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 am

Try Head and Shoulders shampoo - a rescue uses this on dogs and it works. Use an Apple cider rinse - it's apple cider, steeped green tea. I think I had posted the recipe here at one point. If it were mine, I would try a limited ingredient food. I know my Liam can't tolerate chicken very well without scratching. I also used coconut oil on their food - it helped him.
Ronna
Aberdale's Missy Emma Marie CGN NTD (Emma)
Aberdale's Smooth As Glass CGN NTD (Liam)
Aberdale's Unforgettable (Natalie) CGN NTD
Forever in my heart - Golden Hylites' Hamish O'Neill, Arbreglen's Noah Bradley

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:08 am

Try Head and Shoulders shampoo - a rescue uses this on dogs and it works. Use an Apple cider rinse - it's apple cider, steeped green tea. I think I had posted the recipe here at one point. If it were mine, I would try a limited ingredient food. I know my Liam can't tolerate chicken very well without scratching. I also used coconut oil on their food - it helped him.

Here's the recipe: 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup steeped green tea, 1 cup distilled water. It can be used as a rinse after the shampoo or as a spray.
Ronna

Tyler3rd

Post by Tyler3rd » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks I'll give head and shoulders a try. What is steeped tea? Tyler can't eat beef it gives him direa. That's why I went to chicken.

Ronna58

Post by Ronna58 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:16 am

Steeped tea- you make a cup of green tea and mixed it with the vinegar and water. I found Liam had to be on lamb or fish or he was scratching all the time.
Ronna

moichroi

Post by moichroi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 am

Tyler3rd wrote:My Tyler is a three year old sheltie. I have been to three different vets for his problem skin. First one told me it 's allergies , gave me antibiotics, prednisone and shampoo. The second one also did a complete blood work and said it probably is allergies. Again antibiotics and shampoo. The third one said could have something to do with thyroid even though he had test done for it . Again antibiotics and shampoo . They all work but the problem continues to come back. Anyone out there have this problem? He does' nt itch or scratch but it just looks awful.
Hi
I hope I did not miss a post and am repeating something you have already read. I changed my dog who gets spots and flaky skin at times to grain free food and it made a difference! I also use some diluted apple cider vinegar ( organic) when he gets a spot or two. He steals some puppy chow every now and the I can tell when he does because his spots come back. I hope this is helpful!